WICK FOWLER’S TEXAS STYLE CHILI (TERLINGUA CHILI)
- 1 box Wick Fowler’s Famous Texas Style 2 Alarm Chili Kit®️
- 2 ½ pounds chuck roast, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 Hatch chili, seeded, stemmed, roughly chopped
- 1 Jalapeño chili, seeded, stemmed, roughly chopped
- 1 Fresno chili, seeded, stemmed, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Green onions, chopped, for serving
- Cilantro, chopped, for serving
- Sour cream, to taste, for serving
- MIX the chili kit spice packet contents (reserve the masa harina, granulated onion and garlic for later) and the chuck roast, coating well. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- HEAT 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the beef, in 2 or 3 batches, cooking until golden brown on all sides. Transfer beef to a bowl or platter.
- ADD remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to Dutch oven and, when hot, add the Hatch chili, jalapeno and Fresno peppers; stir and cook for about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- ADD beef and any released juices back to the pot, followed by broth, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and the Chili Kit onion and garlic packets. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat and simmer, cooking partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 2 hours. The beef should be tender, with a slightly thick sauce. (If a thicker sauce is desired, mix the Chili Kit masa harina packet with a small amount of water and whisk it into the chili and cook for a few minutes longer.)
- SERVE chili topped with green onion, cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.