Shrimp Salad Po-Boy
Southerners are blessed to have abundant seafood from nearby waters, and many wonderful dishes are the result (see our Shrimp and Grits recipe, for example). In this recipe, shrimp salad is served on French bread in the style of po-boy sandwiches, “dressed” with lettuce, tomato and dill pickles.
- ½ pound cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise or Blue Plate® Light Mayonnaise, plus more for sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- Creole seasoning to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
- 20 to 24 inches French bread loaf, cut in 5 or 6-inch lengths, sliced horizontally
- Shredded or leaf lettuce
- Thinly sliced tomatoes, 2 or 3 per sandwich
- Dill pickle slices (if desired)
- MIX shrimp, celery, mayonnaise and green onions in a medium bowl. Add Creole seasoning and hot sauce to taste. Stir well to combine.
- TOAST French bread if desired.
- SPREAD mayonnaise on one or both sides of the bread. Evenly divide shrimp mixture onto four halves. Top with lettuce, tomato, and pickles, if using. Add the top half of the bread and press together lightly. Serve immediately.