Strawberry Pound Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
2 (9x5-inch) loaves or 1 (10-inch) bundt
Pound cake is easy to put together and bake, so it won’t get in the way of a busy schedule on a holiday weekend – or anytime. This is a classic pound cake that gets a ‘berry’ delicious upgrade anytime fresh strawberries are available or in season.
- 3 cups Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 (1.2-ounce) package freeze-dried strawberries
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease and line 2 (9×5-inch) loaf pans.
- Make Cake: Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Toss the diced strawberries with 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix until incorporated. Add vanilla extract. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, continuing to mix on medium speed until smooth. Scrape down sides after each addition. Fold in strawberries.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake(s) cool completely.
- Make Frosting: Grind the freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor to create a powder. Place cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Sift confectioners’ sugar and powdered strawberries into the cream cheese and mix until smooth. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Frost the top(s) of the cake(s).
- Tossing the fresh strawberries in flour helps to keep them from sticking to the bottom of the cakes during baking.
- To store this cake, wrap the completely cooled, unfrosted cake in plastic wrap and then in foil; freeze it for up to 3 months. Defrost it overnight in the fridge; make frosting and apply when cake is fully thawed and room temperature.