Strawberry Preserve Cake
- 2 1/2 – cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
- 1 1/4 – teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 – teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 – cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 – cups sugar
- 3/4 – cup strawberry preserves
- 4 – large eggs
- 3/4 – teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 – cup buttermilk
- Red food coloring paste
Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 – (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 – cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 – cup strawberry preserves
- 1 – teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 – cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 – pinch salt
- Garnish: fresh strawberries
PREHEAT oven to 350°
LINE bottoms of 2 (9-inch) cake pans with parchment paper. Lightly coat each pan with baking spray; set aside.
IN a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
IN a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium-high speed with an electric mixer approximately 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add preserves. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl, and add vanilla extract and enough food coloring to achieve desired color.
REDUCE mixer speed to low, and add flour mixture, alternately with buttermilk, ending with flour mixture. Divide batter equally between prepared pans, and spread evenly.
BAKE on the middle rack of oven 25 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of each cake layer comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
IN a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter at medium-high speed with an electric mixer 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. Add strawberry preserves and vanilla, beating until well combined. Add confectioners’ sugar and salt, beating until smooth.
SPREAD Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing between layers and on top and sides of cake.
Garnish with strawberries, if desired.