Back to top
Texas Pinto Beans
An easy, one-pot comfort food recipe complete with creamy pinto beans and crisp, crumbly bacon on top.
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 1/4 cup carrot, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 Carroll Shelby’s®️ Chili Kit
- 1 teaspoon salt or more, to taste
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, for serving
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, for serving
- 2 tablespoons serrano (or jalapeño) peppers,
thinly sliced, for serving
- Soak beans overnight in 3 cups of water.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add onions, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add 3 tablespoons of spice from the Chili Kit Spice Packet (reserve the remaining chili kit spices for other use) and salt and stir well. Add beans and any remaining soaking liquid along with 4 cups of water or chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove from heat and allow beans to slightly cool.
- Serve with crumbled bacon, cilantro, and sliced serrano or jalapeño peppers.