Back to top
Here’s to an all-American sandwich enjoyed for generations in diners, cafes and home kitchens in every corner of the country. This classic tuna melt is made even more delicious with Blue Plate® Mayonnaise.
- Two (5-ounce) cans solid white tuna packed in water, drained
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon Blue Plate®️ Mayonnaise, plus extra for spreading
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1 egg, hard boiled and roughly chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 4 slices rustic white bread (or other dense white bread)
- 4 ounces sliced or grated Swiss cheese (or provolone cheese)
- PREHEAT broiler. Position a rack about 6 inches from broiler element.
- COMBINE tuna, mayonnaise, red onion, celery, egg, lemon juice, pepper, salt and oregano in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly.
- LINE a baking sheet with parchment baking paper. Arrange 4 slices of bread on sheet and spread with mayonnaise, if desired. Divide tuna salad evenly among bread slices and top with cheese. Place under broiler and cook until cheese is golden and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve hot.