Turkey Harvest Chili
6 to 8 Servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1 package Carroll Shelby's® White Chicken Chili Kit
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups leftover cooked turkey
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese and toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnishing
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven.Add carrots, onions, squash, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, 4 to 5 minutes, until onions soften.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, spice packet, cayenne pepper packet to taste and 1 teaspoon salt. Add beans and turkey and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Add masa if a thicker chili is desired, following directions on box.
- Ladle into bowls, and garnish with cheese and toasted pumpkin seeds.