Twice Baked Potatoes
Potato skins loaded with seasoned mashed potatoes and all the toppings are an easy make-ahead side dish that can be refrigerated or frozen, then warmed in the oven for serving. Blue Plate makes the potatoes extra creamy and flavorful.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream + 8 teaspoons for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese (or Colby) grated
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425℉.
- Scrub, rinse and dry the potatoes. Rub potatoes with olive oil, place on a baking sheet and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender. Leaving the oven on, remove the baked potatoes and allow them to cool slightly.
- Combine mayonnaise and sour cream in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the partially cooled potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop some of the potato out, leaving a 1/8-inch border of potato inside the skins so they hold their shape. Place the potato skin “shells” on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, mash the potatoes, then mix in the mayonnaise and sour cream mixture and the butter; season to taste.
- Fill each potato skin with some mashed potato mixture and top with cheese.
- Return the stuffed potato halves to the oven and bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are hot.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and scallions and a teaspoon of sour cream. Serve hot.
- The stuffed potatoes may be individually wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then bake at 350℉ for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Once thawed, they can also be reheated in the microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes.