- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup carrots, finely chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Hatch green chilis, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro stems, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Carroll Shelby’s® Original Texas Chili Kit
- 1 (15-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Diced avocado, grated cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, chopped jalapeño, tortilla chips, for serving
- HEAT olive oil in a large Dutch-oven over medium heat. When hot, add the onion, carrots, bell pepper, green chilis, cilantro stems and jalapeño and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent, about 15 minutes.
- ADD garlic, chili kit spice and cayenne packets and cook 1 minute longer. Add diced tomatoes, kidney, pinto and black beans, vegetable stock, chili kit masa harina packet and bay leaf. Stir well to combine and let mixture come to a simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally for at least 30 minutes or until the beans are tender. Using the back of a spoon or a potato masher to smash some of the beans for a thicker consistency, if desired. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- TOP chili with avocado, cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, and chopped jalapeño and serve with tortilla chips, as desired. The chili can be stored in the refrigerator for several days and frozen for several months.