Chicken and Broccoli Casserole With Cauliflower Rice
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Because this meal-in-a-dish has a cauliflower base instead of rice, diners avoid a big hit of carbohydrates. Cauliflower “rice” is available in most supermarkets, frozen or bagged in the produce section, or make it yourself by grinding cauliflower into rice-size bits in the food processor. Mexican cotija cheese can be substituted for the feta. This dish can be assembled up to a day before serving, and it keeps well.
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 small onion)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- ½ large red bell pepper, cut in ½-inch by 3-inch strips
- 1 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise or Blue Plate® Light Mayonnaise with Olive Oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon mixed Italian dried herbs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut in large chunks or big shredded pieces
- ½ pound (fresh or frozen) cooked broccoli spears or florets
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
- HEAT olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Add cauliflower rice and Creole seasoning. Cook, stirring, until onions are tender and cauliflower is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- COOK the red bell pepper strips with a tablespoon of water in a covered dish in the microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. Drain.
- COAT an 11- by 11-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- MIX mayonnaise and feta with onion powder, garlic powder, Italian herbs and lots of black pepper in a measuring cup. When combined, stir half into the onion and cauliflower mixture in the skillet. Mix well.
- LAYER the onion-cauliflower rice in the bottom of baking dish. Top with chicken, then broccoli, then red pepper strips.
- DISTRIBUTE spoonfuls of remaining feta mixture evenly on top and spread with back of a spoon. Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
- BAKE 30 minutes, until the top starts to brown a bit around the edges. Serve.
- COOL, cover and refrigerate leftovers. Reheats well. Keeps up to 3 days.