Chili Rubbed Roasted Turkey
8 - 10 servings
- 1 Wick Fowler’s® Chili Kit
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 navel oranges, juiced and rinds reserved
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 (14-pound) turkey, giblets removed
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and crushed
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch each oregano, sage and rosemary, tied in a bundle
- COMBINE contents of chili kit spice packets (except the Masa packet), salt and brown sugar and mix well. Add orange juice and mix until a paste forms. Cream unsalted butter and spice mix in a small bowl until combined.
- RINSE and pat turkey dry. Working from the neck end of turkey, gently loosen the skin from the breast. Rub chili butter evenly under the skin and all over the outside.
- CHILL turkey for 4 to 6 hours, uncovered.
- PREHEAT oven to 425℉. Stuff cavity of turkey with orange rinds, onion, garlic, celery and herbs. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Roast turkey for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- REDUCE oven temperature to 325℉. Cover turkey with foil and continue roasting, basting every 20 to 30 minutes with butter and juices from the pan. Cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165℉, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- TRANSFER turkey to a platter and tent it with foil. Let rest for at least 30 minutes before carving.
- STRAIN pan drippings into a measuring cup and skim the fat from the surface. Combine fat with an equal amount of chili kit Masa to make a thick sauce, or roux. Transfer to a saucepan and cook until golden brown. Pour juices from turkey into the roux and cook over medium-high heat until thickened. Add salt and pepper and herbs, if desired. Serve sauce with turkey.