Back to top
4 to 6 servings
Simmer this sauce of tomatillos, peppers and garlic with tasty pork shoulder and serve with chili toppings, use as a filling for burritos and tacos, or ladle it over rice for a delicious entree.
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2 Hatch or Anaheim peppers, seeded, stemmed and
sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 large jalapeños, seeded, stemmed and sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Carroll Shelby’s® White Chicken Chili Kit
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro + extra for topping
- Chopped avocado, for topping
- Chopped tomato, for topping
- Tortillas, warmed, for serving
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for serving
- Make Verde Sauce: (Can be made a day ahead.) Preheat the broiler. Combine tomatillos, Hatch peppers, jalapeños, olive oil and salt in a bowl and toss well. Transfer to an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and broil for 15 minutes, or until the skins are blistered and vegetables are soft. When cool enough to handle, remove skins from peppers. Transfer to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make Chili: Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Season pork with Chili Kit Spice Mix packet and salt and pepper, reserving masa harina packet for later. Sear pork, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer to a platter or a bowl and set aside.
- Add onions and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until onions are wilted and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno and bell pepper packet and the cayenne packet from the chili kit, garlic, broth, all but 1/2 cup of verde sauce and the pork to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Top with cilantro leaves, avocado and tomato and serve with warm tortillas and lime wedges.