Back to top
Grilled Artichokes with Lemon-Caper Aioli
Artichokes are in their peak season in the spring and fall, but California artichokes are readily available all year long. They’re the perfect accompaniment to any meal, and are especially delicious dipped in our lemony, garlicky aioli made with Blue Plate® Mayonnaise.
- 2 whole lemons
- 2 large artichokes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon chopped garlic
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- JUICE both lemons and zest one lemon in the amount of ½ teaspoon of zest. Set aside lemon juice and lemons, reserving 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and the ½ teaspoon of lemon zest for the Lemon-Caper Aioli.
- COMBINE reserved tablespoon of lemon juice and ½ teaspoon of zest with Blue Plate® Mayonnaise, capers, parsley, basil, garlic and white pepper in a small mixing bowl; mix well. Cover bowl and refrigerate aioli for at least one hour before serving. (The aioli can be refrigerated in a resealable container for up to 3 days.)
- FILL a large pot with water. Place the remaining lemon juice and lemons in the pot.
- CLEAN artichokes by cutting the stem of each, so there is only 1 inch remaining. Peel off the lower leaves and cut off the top ⅓ of each artichoke. Cut each artichoke into quarters and remove the choke and any prickly leaves.
- TRANSFER artichokes to pot with lemon water. Add bay leaves, salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and cover. Cook until crisp tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. (This can be done 1 day in advance, if necessary.)
- PREHEAT grill to medium-high heat.
- BRUSH artichokes on both sides with aioli. Transfer artichokes to grill and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until tender and slightly charred. Serve artichokes warm or at room temperature, with the remaining Lemon-Caper Aioli as a dipping sauce.