Grilled Red Snapper with Avocado Mayonnaise and Salsa Verde
Grilling fresh fish gets easier when you marinate it in Avocado Mayonnaise, which not only helps seal in delicate flavors but also holds it together and keeps it from sticking to the grill. We use red snapper but you can substitute any firm, white fish.
- 4 (6-ounce) red snapper fillets (or other firm white fish)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Avocado Mayonnaise
- 3/4 pounds tomatillos, husked
- 1 Anaheim pepper, stem removed
- ½ jalapeño pepper, stem removed
- ½ yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon New Mexican red chili powder
- ½ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- MAKE AVOCADO MAYONNAISE: Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until use, and for up to a week.
- MARINATE FISH: Place fish fillets and half of Avocado Mayonnaise in a baking dish or resealable plastic bag and marinate in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- MAKE SALSA VERDE: Preheat oven to broiler setting (or set grill to high). Toss peppers, tomatillos, onion and avocado oil in a large bowl until vegetables are completely coated with oil, then season with cumin and chili powder. Roast vegetables on a foil-lined baking sheet in oven until vegetables are blistered and charred, about 4-5 minutes (or roast on grill at high heat; watch them closely as roasting time may vary.) Set roasted vegetables aside to cool, then remove skin and seeds from peppers. Transfer roasted vegetables, cilantro, garlic, salt and lime juice to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
- GRILL FISH: Remove fish from marinade and allow to reach room temperature. Clean grill grates using a wire grill brush, then lightly brush grates with vegetable oil. Set grill to medium-high heat and place fish fillets on grill, cooking for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- SERVE fish with Salsa Verde and remaining Avocado Mayonnaise.