Back to top
Mexican Chicken Pozole Verde
Pozole is a traditional Mexican soup made with chicken or pork. We’ve added a little “Texas” twist with our Carroll Shelby’s® White Chicken Chili Kit. Traditionally garnished with avocado, radishes, onion, cabbage, cilantro and lime.
- 1 whole fryer chicken
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- Water, about 4 quarts
- 1 Carroll Shelby’s® White Chicken Chili Kit
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and deveined
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and deveined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
- Chili Kit Cayenne Packet
- Sliced avocado
- Diced onion
- Thinly shredded cabbage
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Place chicken, onion and garlic in a large pot. Add enough water to cover chicken by 2 inches (about 4 quarts). Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Skim any foam from top of water. Let simmer until chicken is so tender it falls off the bone (about 2 hours).
- Remove chicken from pot and place on a sheet pan to cool; remove meat from chicken and shred it.
- Remove onion and garlic from stock with a slotted spoon. Place in a blender with 2 cups of broth, Chili Kit Spice Packet, Jalapeño & Bell Pepper Packet and Masa Packet and puree until emulsified; set aside.
- Strain stock out of pot into a large container. Let sit and skim fat off the top.
- Measure out 3 quarts of stock and return it to pot along with the pureed onion mixture.
- Char the tomatillos, jalapeños and poblanos in a hot cast-iron skillet, then puree them with 1 cup of stock and add to pot. Salt and pepper to taste. Add shredded chicken and hominy to pot.
- Simmer for half an hour. Add additional seasonings to taste, garnish as desired and serve warm.
If you’re short on time, you can use your favorite premade chicken stock or bone broth (we recommend low sodium so you can control the salt level) and a rotisserie chicken. Shred the chicken and place the onion and garlic in a saucepan with 2 cups of stock, simmer until tender and follow the directions on Step 3.