Back to top
Mexican Chicken Salad
Kids of all ages love this protein-rich salad, which is easy to make ahead of time and even tastes better when you do! It’s chock full of vegetables and could easily make a satisfying light lunch. Serve with saltine crackers or between slices of bread as a sandwich.
- 4 cups cooked boneless chicken, diced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh (or frozen) corn kernels
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, deveined and diced
- 2 green onions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a large bowl; set aside.
- Bring a medium sauce pan with water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt. In 4 separate batches, blanch the corn, then green beans, then carrots and lastly peas, blanching each batch for 1 minute and then transferring with a slotted spoon to a strainer submerged in a bowl of ice water. Shake excess water from each batch and add to diced chicken. Add bell pepper, green onion and jalapeño and mix until incorporated; set aside.
- Mix mayonnaise, sour cream and lime juice together in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fold the mayonnaise mixture into the chicken and mix until fully incorporated. Season to taste, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Remove from refrigerator and stir. Taste for seasoning and serve with saltine crackers.
- KITCHEN TIPS
- When blanching the vegetables start with the lightest color vegetables first. This helps in maintaining the color.
- This is a great salad to make ahead of time. Longer refrigeration time gives the flavors more time to blend.