Back to top
1 (3-layer) 9-inch cake
In the spirit of taking a swing at a brightly decorated piñata full of goodies this piñata cake is sure to be a ‘hit’ at any party. Unlike a traditional piñata, this one can be broken up with just a fork. Use the famous Swans Down 1-2-3-4 Layer Cake baked in 3 (9-inch) layer pans as the base for this cake.
- 1 1-2-3-4 Layer Cake (“Back of the Box Cake”), baked in 3 (9-inch) layers
- 1 batch Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting
- Food coloring, as desired
- Shredded coconut
- 1 bag Skittles (or other unwrapped candy)
- Using the 3 freshly baked cake layers, cut out a 4-inch circle from the center of 2 of the cake layers. Place 1 of the cut cake layers directly onto a cake board or serving plate. Frost the top and add the second cut layer. Pour candy into the hole in the center of the cake and top with the remaining uncut cake layer. Apply a crumb coat to the cake, cover and allow to set in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is setting, divide the coconut into as many portions as you would like colors. Add a drop of food coloring to each and mix until incorporated; set aside.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and frost with the buttercream.
- With a ruler, mark out as many rings around the cake as you have tinted coconut. Press the coconut into bands around the cake, starting at the bottom and working upwards.
- Decorate the top with sprinkles, candy or cake toppers.