Back to top
Race-Day Brisket Chili
4 to 6 servings
- 9 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (18-ounce) bottle your favorite store-bought smoky barbecue sauce
- 1 ounce square unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 package Carroll Shelby's® Chili Kit
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Sour cream, for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large Dutch over medium-high heat.
- Toss beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook beef in 4 batches, adding 2 tablespoon of the oil each time. Transfer to a platter. Wipe out pot, if necessary. Add remaining tablespoon of oil, the onions, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper to the pot and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in wine and beef broth and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Add chocolate and stir until melted. Add spice packet and cayenne pepper packet to taste (reserve masa packet for another use).
- Add beef to the pot with any juices, add barbecue sauce and sun-dried tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream.