Smoky Ham and Black Bean Soup
2 quarts, 4 to 6 servings
Homemade soup doesn’t have to simmer on the stove for hours to be hearty and delicious. With Carroll Shelby’s spice packets and a pressure cooker you can have this comforting soup rich with smoky ham stock on the table in about an hour. (Soak the dried black beans overnight to ensure they’re extra tender when cooked.)
- 1 ham hock, scored
- 8 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups water
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped, seeds removed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 pound dried black beans, rinsed and sorted, soaked overnight
- 1 package Carroll Shelby’s White Chicken Chili Kit
- Toppings: sour cream, corn chips, cilantro leaves, cotija cheese, lime wedges
- Add ham hock, 2 cloves of the garlic, the bay leaf and the water to the bowl of the pressure cooker. Close and seal per device instructions and pressure cook on High setting for 30 minutes. When done, select Cancel and quick-release the pressure.
- When safe to open, remove ham hock from pot and set aside. Add onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, black beans and contents of Chili Kit spice packets except the Masa Harina, which can be saved for another use. Close lid, lock and seal. Pressure cook at High setting for 30 minutes. When done, select Cancel and allow pressure to release naturally, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- When safe to open, remove half of soup and puree in a blender until smooth or to desired consistency. Return to pot and stir well.
- Pull meat from ham hock. Serve soup topped with pulled meat, sour cream, corn chips, cilantro, cotija cheese and lime wedges.