Back to top
Spicy Old-fashioned Potato Salad
No barbecue, potluck or picnic is complete without an old-school Southern potato salad. Blue Plate Hot & Spicy Mayonnaise makes this one extra creamy and delicious, with a spicy kick in every bite.
- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup Blue Plate® Hot & Spicy Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3 boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Add 1 tablespoon salt, the bay leaf and the thyme and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, egg, dill, mustard, celery, scallions and red onion in a large bowl and mix well. Season with remaining salt.
- When the potatoes are completely cool, gently fold them into mayonnaise mixture until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.