Bacon-Topped Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes
Want something fun for your next occasion? This prize-winning recipe, from the 2016 Hogs for the Cause Barbecue competition and fund-raiser, is based on an old favorite recipe, chocolate mayonnaise cake. It’s updated with a yummy bourbon vanilla buttercream frosting and an audacious garnish: chocolate coated bacon!
Chocolate Coated Bacon
- 8 slices thick-cut smoked bacon, cut in thirds, crisply cooked
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Bourbon Vanilla Buttercream
- 3 sticks butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- ½ cup good quality Bourbon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees. Fill cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- WHISK flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add vanilla and cold water and mix well. Add mayonnaise and chocolate chips and stir to thoroughly combine.
- FILL cupcake liners three-quarters full with batter. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool before frosting.
- MELT chocolate chips in a medium microwavable bowl per package directions or for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time. Stir until smooth.
- DIP each piece of bacon into chocolate until completely coated. Lay on the wax-paper lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate about 30 minutes to set.
- With a hand mixer in a large bowl on medium speed, beat butter, cream cheese and mayonnaise until completely combined.
- ADD powdered sugar gradually, along with Bourbon, beating on high to create the desired fluffy texture. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- FROST cupcakes with an offset spatula and garnish with bacon. Serve at once.