Pressure Cooker Black-eyed Pea Chili
4 to 6 servings
Blackeye peas aren’t just for New Year’s Day – they deliver protein-packed nutrition all year long and add unique flavor to chili. Toss into a pressure cooker with Wick Fowler’s Spice Packet, to taste, and make a fast one-pot meal.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño
- 1 Wick Fowler's®️ 2-Alarm Chili Kit spice packet
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, rinsed, soaked and drained
- 4 cups pork stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, for serving
- Sliced jalapeños, for serving
- Set pressure cooker to Sauté setting for 15 minutes. When hot add the bacon and cook until bacon begins to crisp. Add the smoked ham, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and jalapeno. Stir in Chili Kit Spice Packet contents to taste and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft.
- Add the black-eyed peas, stock, bay leaf and salt and pepper. Set the cooker to high pressure for 25 minutes. When done, allow the pressure cooker to release naturally for 15 minutes, then manually release the pressure.
- Serve topped with sour cream and sliced jalapeños.