Rustic Plum Tart
Rustic tarts are the best baking cheat ever – no fancy techniques required! Pick your favorite seasonal fruit (we used plums), tumble with sugar and spices and top the dough with the fruit, fold and bake! Pastry rock star status couldn’t be easier.
- 1 ½ cups Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 stick (½ cup) cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water (more if necessary)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 to 5 black plums, pitted and sliced about ¼-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- PULSE flour, salt and sugar in a food processor or whisk together in a bowl. Add the butter and pulse until the butter resembles coarse meal. Alternatively, use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour. Drizzle the ice water over the flour mixture and pulse or mix with a fork until the dough begins to hold together. If necessary, add more water.
- TURN the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather the dough into a ball. Press the dough into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap, beeswax wrap or parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. The dough can be frozen up to 3 months.
- PREHEAT the oven to 350℉.
- ROLL out the dough on a lightly floured surface to ¼-inch thickness. Transfer the dough to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- COMBINE the granulated sugar, cornstarch, lime juice, lime zest, salt and mix well. Toss the plums in the sugar mixture. Transfer the plums to the center of the dough, leaving at least a 2-inch border. Fold the edges of the dough towards the center and slightly over the fruit.
- REFRIGERATE for at least 30 minutes for the dough to become firm.
- BRUSH dough with heavy cream and sprinkle raw sugar over top.
- BAKE for 40 minutes until the tart is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling. Cool completely or serve warm with your favorite ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.