Back to top
Sweet Tea Flan
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 individual cup size bags Luzianne®Unsweet Iced Tea
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- Fresh sliced strawberries and fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- PREHEAT oven to 325°F.
- HEAT evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and lemon zest in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, just until steaming but not simmering. Add tea bags, steep for 5 minutes, then remove tea bags, squeezing out excess liquid. Let cool for 15 minutes and set aside.
- COMBINE sugar and water in a small, heavy saucepan and stir. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; continue to boil, without stirring, until syrup turns a medium amber color, 10 to 12 minutes. Immediately divide among 6 (6-ounce) ramekins, tilting the ramekins to coat bottoms evenly. Place ramekins in a 13×9-inch baking dish.
- WHISK together eggs and egg yolks in a medium bowl
until blended. Gradually whisk milk mixture into egg mixture in a slow, steady stream until well combined. Strain custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a 4-cup or larger glass measuring cup. Spoon custard evenly into ramekins.
- CAREFULLY add very hot water to the baking dish, around the ramekins, within 1/2 inch of tops of ramekins, and place baking dish on center rack of oven. Bake until flans are mostly set (center may jiggle just slightly) and a knife inserted halfway into center comes out mostly clean, 50 to 55 minutes.
- REMOVE ramekins from water bath. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, covering with plastic wrap when cold.