Back to top
Vegetable Chili with Peppers, Squash and Black Beans
4 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinse
- 1 - WICK FOWLER'S 2-ALARM or FALSE ALARM CHILI KIT
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Sour cream, for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch-oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, until softened.
- Add peppers, squash, zucchini and ½ teaspoon salt and cook 6 to 7 more minutes, until softened. Stir in diced tomatoes, beans, chili seasonings (as much red pepper as desired and reserving masa), 1 teaspoon salt and vegetable broth.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, until flavors have melded.
- Add masa if desired for a thicker chili, according to instructions on back of box.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with cilantro.
Not in a hurry? This recipe can also be done in a slow cooker starting on high for 1 hour then switching to low for 2 to 4 hours.